Moving to Remote Working
Have you already started to let employees work outside of your offices? Sure, Sales have been doing it forever. But what about the jobs that have not traditionally been done somewhere else. In today’s hyper-connected world, it is almost impossible for a business not to be working from everywhere, but the question is: are you covering your corporate rear-end?
Remote Worker is Trending Upwards
Many companies have just let employees start to remote work, so it just happens without planning or forethought. Have put together some standard teleworking forms that employees sign and quickly forgot about? With about 3.4 million people in the USA alone working remotely as employees, you can double that number if you include freelancers (Independent Contractors). As an employer, you need to have a well-thought-out set of policies and tools to ensure your business is covered.
Remote work for Employer Impact
As an employer, you gain benefits and take some minuses
- Less office space costs
- A wider selection of candidates for those positions that require specific skills and abilities.
- Happier employees, studies show that workers that can work from home are more productive, happier, and work longer hours than their office-based colleagues.
- Collect sales taxes if an employee’s physical location can put create a taxable location for the business. If you have just one employee in a state then the state can claim that you have a business presence in the state and require you to collect taxes or comply with the local laws within the state like labor laws.
- Manage Income Taxes and other Employee costs that must be paid by the employer for the employee in a different location.
- Time Zones Just how remote is remote? If the employee is far away you may only have small windows of overlapping times in which to collaborate live. Otherwise, you need to make sure the work can be done asynchronously.
We have been helping companies do the planning, implementation, and learning to thrive with a remote workforce no matter where their team member is in the world.
What is your company’s Remote Work look like? Please share it with us here in the comments section below.