Telecommuting from the Edge
Where You are is not Important Anymore
With today's state of technology it does not matter where in the world you are to do many types of work. If you work is non-manufacturing then you have a better than 60% chance that it can be done remotely and the current research indicates that you will be more productive than your office bound counterpart and you will be a happier employee. Your employer benefits also by lower his costs of providing workspace and perks that comes with offices for you.
There are some real things you have be aware when deciding where you want to work from before you land there.
- Time zones -If the rest of your team is several time zones away it can mean that you working at times the rest of your world is relaxing or sleeping. So make sure you can live with the adjustments you will have to make.
- Work Space -You still need to be in places where you can focus and engage with other in a quite environments. Sometimes working form home is not idea when their is no go to space that you can slip into for need calls and concentrate work times. Some people have found Co-Work locations provide the environment and also social context that they need to work effectively.
- Social -Some us just need to have people around us for a number of reason to help product at work. Being a telecommuter means you are not with your work colleagues for a coffee or break together. You need to build these relationship through make special efforts on your part and by finding groups locally that can be a substitute for them. many people use Join-UP meeting as one way to find the face to face connection that they need in their work lives.
- Location -Not all town roll out the welcome mat for you. many small towns that do not have a lot of people turn over are not as open to new comers. If you want to move to a smaller town or the country try it out for a month or two before you make a longer term commitment to the area. It is one the advantage of your job is where you work doesn't matter. In fact if you want to be one of those people that have a couple places to live through out the year than telecommuting is prefect answer for you.
- Transportation -If you have to go to the office or visit clients than you need to consider how far away you can really be. Some job that indicate telecommuting really are just home-based work that needs to be nearby. So is it a short car ride, an airplane trip or a day long trek to get to where you need to be and how often do you need to do it? Can you accept the challenges of doing it? Also if you need to ship things back and forth not all locations really have next day services. So know what your options are before committing to a location
- Broadband -Without you can not do the telecommuting thing period. It is the general availability of broadband that has truly enabled the remote work location for workers. SO know for sure whether it is available and is it highest enough performance for you dio your work from that location. It also is good idea to make sure that their is more than one provider just in case something changes.
What is your telecommuting story? Tell us by leaving comments below.